There are a number of changes that are set to take video marketing on Facebook a notch higher. Facebook shared four updates aimed at marketers during Advertising Week this year. Two of them are aimed at video marketing. The ultimate goal is to capitalize on mobile marketing and creating user engagement. The number of marketers on this giant site has increased by 25% since February 2015. There are about 2.5 million active advertisers on Facebook. Let us delve into these pivotal changes:
1. Video in Carousel FormatIn 2014, Facebook launched video in carousel format. It is aimed at allowing advertisers to market their products in more creative ways. They are also able to drive actions like visits to their websites, and app installs. The carousel ads are great tools to use to tell your story to your audience as a brand. The carousel format allows you to show multiple links and even images in one ad. Facebook announced the ability to add video to carousel format. Better still, this format is cost effective. For each conversion, you save 30 to 50%, and for every click 20-30%.
Going mobileThe success of carousel links on Facebook led to their extension to ads on mobile apps. The giant site is very much aware of the high level of user engagement on mobile devices, thus the strategic move. It doesn’t stop here as Facebook will continue to build the tools that marketers will need to reach their audiences on mobile devices, and measure the effect of campaigns on mobile.
The ads in carousel format on mobile devices do not support video yet. However, here are noteworthy aspects that could form an important aspect of video marketing on Facebook:
- They support a maximum of 5 images with links
The carousel format is ideal for marketers as it grabs attention and it is interactive as well.
- You can use the format to launch products and even to showcase your gallery
If you are a software company, you can use this format to take your potential audience through a virtual tour. You can showcase a gallery of the products you are offering or even your previous projects.
- It comes with insights
The insights inform marketers about the best performing links in the ad. They also allow Facebook to optimize how the images are ordered, based on expected performance, and user engagement as well. This feature is however optional.
The rationale behind the carousel formatThe carousel format was created as a response to the product listing ads on Google, which allowed marketers to show ads based on their view or click history. Facebook utilizes this concept to show a user ads related to their demographic information when they open an app in the Audience Network. You will only pay Facebook for targeting the ad. Facebook also plans to create different algorithms for users who go ahead and purchase after clicking on the ad, and those that only click on the ad. This may mean more cost on the advertiser’s side, but there could be a higher ROI.
2. TRP BuyingThis is the second facet to video marketing on Facebook. This concept utilizes the same strategy as the one used to buy ads on TV. A recent research showed that coupling Facebook campaigns with TV ads results in higher audience reach, increased efficiency, and effectiveness as well. Here are some results from the research:
- A 19% increase in targeted audience
- A 37% increase if the targeted audience are millennials
- Facebook impressions are 2 times more likely to reach target audiences when compared with TV impressions.
- When exposed to both TV and Facebook ads, the audience showed a 3.2% increase in ad memorability, 22.7% increase in likeability linkage, and 11.5 % increase in brand linkage.
There are a number of measurement systems:
- Digital Ad Ratings: verifies Facebook’s in-target TRP delivery
- Total Ad Ratings: verifies the TRP delivery for both TV and Facebook combined
How does TRP work?
How then does TRP work for video marketing on Facebook?
- You, the marketer chooses a target audience, for instance females between ages 30 and 50 in Canada.
- You then select the number of TRPs you need to purchase. This will be based on the size of your target audience, and your budget of course. For instance, if the females between 30 and 50 in Canada on Facebook are 50 million, 50 TRPs means that you will reach 25 million at one time. If the same population saw the ad three times, then the campaign will have delivered 125 TRPs. You can buy more than 100% of TRPs. The good thing is that you receive support from Facebook’s team. If you do not know what to buy, they will help a great deal.
- You will then select from three options. The least-expensive option means that a smaller number of your target audience will be reached, at a higher frequency though. The most-expensive option means that a larger audience will be reached, at a lower frequency though. You can choose to combine the two options for maximal benefits.
- If you decide to buy, you will exchange a signed contract between you and Facebook. The campaign then begins in a few days. You can also purchase a campaign 6 months in advance. The TRPs are guaranteed in the contract.
- The campaign begins to run and you can begin to receive statistics like consumers reached, and frequency achieved.
- At the end of the campaign, a final report is issued. It helps you to see whether Facebook actually met your TRP guarantee.