In the digital world which we live today, the marketer is no longer the one looking for the client. Rather, the opposite is true. Here are some statistics that reflect this fact:
- 81% of shoppers will conduct an online research before visiting any stores
- Consumers spend around 79 days researching online before making any purchases
- The buyer guides himself through 60 to 90% of the traditional sales funnel before contacting a sales person or even brand
Before we look at the ways to come up with a killer content marketing strategy, let us look at some of its benefits:
- It increases brand awareness
As prospective buyers and users search the web, they keep encountering your brand in search engine results
- It increases brand preference
Your content establishes your brand as an authority in your industry, winning your buyers’ trust
- Long term results
Over time, customers will benefit from a database of content on your site
Let us now look at what a successful content marketing strategy should entail:
Depending on your industry and target audience, you should have:
1. Blog postsThe blog should cross-promote other content. This ensures that you consistently have fresh content. Your blog posts should be based on SEO, and if your marketing team lacks knowledge in this area, you need to outsource.
2. EbooksThese are aimed at educating. They should use conversational language representative of your brand. The content should also follow a narrative structure.
3. Cheat sheetsThey are usually 2 to 3 pages. Your formatting should make it very easy for the reader to scan through. You can also link to other sources for more information.
4. Workbooks and TemplatesThese are designed for print. They should be interactive and practical.
5. Whitepapers and reportsLike ebooks, their purpose is to inform. They use a more professional language. They also allow for interaction and partnership with other organizations.
6. InfographicsHere there is use of both texts and graphics, but words are kept to a minimum. Again, if you do not have a graphics designer on your team, seeking a professional would really help.
7. Slide decksThese use slides to break down complex ideas into steps. Keep text at minimum. Use the same font throughout and use big graphics.
8. VideoMake the video timeless. This way, you need not upload too many videos. Ensure that your videos contain high quality content. Upload the videos to YouTube and link your website. This way, there is a possibility of reaching a wider audience.
9. Case StudiesBuild case studies with complete stories as well as real numbers. The focus will be on the value and results, not the brand.
Social media and content marketingYour strategy will be missing a large portion if you do not factor in social media. Social media platforms are the vehicle for your content. There are 3 types of social media platforms that you can utilize:
- Your own platform
This is the brand’s own social media platform – Facebook page, twitter handle, or even other accounts on other social sites. This is a quick way to reach your target audience
- Paid platforms
This is where you use paid advertising. Look at the network’s demographics and determine what works best for your brand. For instance, brands in the fashion niche may benefit more from Instagram as compared to brands in the law niche.
- Earned platforms
This is where your audience shares your brand’s content on various social media sites. This is the most valuable platform, but it is also the hardest to create and build.
When it comes to the social media site to use, you need to use one where your users are. Here are some of the demographics of the various social media sites that there are: